Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tate's MRI and Surgery

Tate's MRI. He did great as usual. He is amazing with the doctors and nurses. Tate was pretty excited about getting pictures of his eyes and brain. He thought that it was really cool. They first put a numbing solution on the tops of his hands and wrapped them. This is so they can insert the IV in there without him freaking out. He once again had a cocktail and off to sleep he went. The MRI took about two hours. Brad and I ate a nice meal (they have good food at OHSU) and then sat with Tate as he woke up.

December 10th.
We received great news today that his optic nerves look great which means, if it is cancer, it has not moved into the brain. They confirmed that there was a build up of calcium which often means cancer but they will not know for sure until pathology comes back.

December 11th
This was one of the hardest days I have ever experienced. I did fine before his surgery but having him wake up and be in so much pain was horrible. I could barely hold it together as Brad sang to him to try and calm him down. His doctor came in and asked him how he was doing and he gave him the thumbs up. He has such a good attitude.

In the next few days, it was really hard as well. The pain meds hurt Tate's stomach so he was throwing up all the time...or at least trying. Once we got that under control he seemed to be doing fine. He actually liked visitors. I thought that he would be shy, but once he realized he had a patch on and people couldn't see his eye, he was okay with it. Under the patch, his eye was sewed shut and for 2 or 3 days he wouldn't open his other eye. I don't blame him though! Everyday got a little better. Brad's mother had come out for the baby blessing and ended up staying an extra week to help out. We could not have made it through without her! I cried when she left overwhelmed with what would lie ahead.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Jaime

I'm so sorry to hear of the pain and suffering your family and your little boy are going through at this time. You seem like an amazingly strong mother and I am proud of you. I can imagine that this is a very difficult time for everyone. You and Tate are in my prayers.

Leah

Anonymous said...

Oh Jaime, I am so sorry! I welled up reading this post. No little kid should ever have to go through that. I haven't even met Tate but I don't want him to have to go through the pain he's experiencing. Please know that I am thinking of you and your family. Even though I'm far away, please let me know if I can do ANYTHING to help you!